Vladimir Voevodsky の死を悼む

現代の数学者で、僕が一番注目していたVladimir Voevodsky が、動脈瘤で亡くなった。まだ、51歳だ。John Baezのblogで知った。https://goo.gl/YhnkBK
幻覚・幻聴といった狂気に苦しんだ天才だ。
In 2006-2007 a lot of external and internal events happened to me, after which my point of view on the questions of the “supernatural” changed significantly. What happened to me during these years, perhaps, can be compared most closely to what happened to Karl Jung in 1913-14. Jung called it “confrontation with the unconscious”. I do not know what to call it, but I can describe it in a few words. Remaining more or less normal, apart from the fact that I was trying to discuss what was happening to me with people whom I should not have discussed it with, I had in a few months acquired a very considerable experience of visions, voices, periods when parts of my body did not obey me, and a lot of incredible accidents. The most intense period was in mid-April 2007 when I spent 9 days (7 of them in the Mormon capital of Salt Lake City), never falling asleep for all these days.
Almost from the very beginning, I found that many of these phenomena (voices, visions, various sensory hallucinations), I could control. So I was not scared and did not feel sick, but perceived everything as something very interesting, actively trying to interact with those “beings” in the auditorial, visual and then tactile spaces that appeared around me (by themselves or by invoking them). I must say, probably, to avoid possible speculations on this subject, that I did not use any drugs during this period, tried to eat and sleep a lot, and drank diluted white wine.
Baezは、こう述べている。
In short, he was a genius akin to Cantor or Grothendieck, at times teetering on the brink of sanity, yet gripped by an immense desire for beauty and clarity, engaging in struggles that gripped his whole soul. From the fires of this volcano, truly original ideas emerge.
言葉もない。
僕が彼の理論に触れたのは、1912年の終わり頃だと思う。
彼についての僕のTweetは、あとでblogにまとめてある。"Tweet on Univalent Theory" https://goo.gl/h4a7vP 興味がある人は参照してほしい。当時の数学界の熱狂ぶりがわかるかもしれない。


コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

マルレク・ネット「エントロピーと情報理論」公開しました。

初めにことばありき

人間は、善と悪との重ね合わせというモデルの失敗について